Chief (Mrs.) A. J. Offiah, SAN is a legal luminary of notable repute and the first female Senior Advocate of Nigeria South-East of the Niger who has displayed an admirable degree of hard work, honesty, integrity and zeal in the discharge of her duties. She is a well-seasoned and experienced lawyer; a prodigy in the legal profession and a beacon of light and role model for up starters and young lawyers who aspire to reach the peak in the practice of the legal profession. In spite of her apparent highly exalted position, she remains calm and humble. She is a loving mother and wife, and above all, a devout Roman Catholic whose strong Christian beliefs and faith permeate every activity and duty of hers.
EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Chief (Mrs.) A. J. Offiah, SAN is an accomplished product of great and reputable educational institutions among which are:
- Paul’s Catholic School, Obukpa, Nsukka 1959 – 1962
- Anne’s Primary School, Ahieke, Umuahia 1963
- Immaculate Heart Convent School, Enugu 1963
Holy Rosary Practicing School, Onitsha 1964
Holy Rosary Practicing School, Enugu 1965 FSLC (with Distinction)
- Queen’s School, Enugu 1966 – 1973 WASC (with Grade 1)
- University of Nigeria Nsukka 1973 – 1977 LLB (Hons)
- Nigeria Law School Lagos 1978 BL
After being called to the Nigerian bar, she did her Youth Service Corps programme from 1978 to 1979 at the Ministry of Justice Akure, Ondo state. Thereafter she began private and public law practice at Enugu.
While she was a student, she proved to be an all-round student. She was a member of various organisations and even held leadership positions in some of them such as:
- Young Christians’ Students Associations (YCS) – served as Enugu Diocesan Secretary [1973 – 1974] and National Vice-President [1973 – 1975]
- Nigerian Law Students’ Association, Enugu Campus Branch [1973 – 1977]
MEMBERSHIP OF LEARNED AND PROFESSIONAL BODIES
Chief (Mrs.) A. J. Offiah, SAN, belongs to a number of national and international professional bodies:
- Nigerian Bar Association (former Branch Chairman)
- The International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA)
- International Bar Association (IBA).
- Nigerian representative on the Co-Ordinating Committee of the African Women Lawyers Assocaition (AWLA)
- Chairperson FIDA/FSP Enugu Joint Committee on HTP [1997 – 1999]
- Chairperson, International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA), Enugu State 1998 – 2002
- Council Member, Eastern Bar Forum 2004 – 2012
- Member Enugu State Justice Reform Team
- Call to Nigerian Bar – 8/7/78
- Enrolled as a Solicitor and Advocate of the Supreme Court of Nigeria 9/7/78
- (Youth Corps) State Counsel with Ondo State Government, Akure 1978 – 1979
- Intensive and Extensive Private Legal practice especially in Consultancy Services, Solicitors work, mediation, Arbitration and Litigation Advocacy in all levels of Courts in Nigeria in the firms of :
- MOGBOH, IBIK & CO SOLICITORS – 1978 – 1983
- MOGBOH & CO. SOLICITORS 1983-2003
- MOGBOH, OFFIAH & CO SOLICITORS, ENUGU 2003 TO DATE
- J. OFFIAH & CO LEGAL PRACTITIONERS 1997 TO DATE
- CLIC PARTINERS – 2010 TO DATE.
- OBRA LEGAL 2017 TO DATE.
- Under Mogboh, Ibik & Co
- United Bank for African Limited
- First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- International Bank for West Africa (Later Afibank Nig. Plc, taken over by Skye Bank Limited)
- Under The Firm Of Mogboh & Co
- Fougerolle Nigeria Limited
- SGE Nigeria Limited
- Lodigiani Nigeria Limited
- Catholic Diocese of Enugu
- Ferdinand Properties Investment Limited
- Peenok Investments Limited
- Enugu State Broadcasting Service
- Enugu State University of Science and Technology
- Royal Exchange Assurance Coy. Limited
- Alcan Aluminium Products Limited (First Aluminium)
- Nigerian Telecommunications PLC (NITEL)
- Emenite Ltd. 1995
- FBN (Merchant Bankers) Ltd.
- 82 Mechanized Division of the Nigerian Army
- Under The Firm Of A. J. Offiah & Co
- Niger Foundation Hospital and diagnostic Centre.
- Juhel Nigeria Limited/Juhel Gas Limited.
- University of Nigeria Teaching Hospital.
- Eastern Bottlers Limited.
- Government of Enugu State of Nigeria.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Litigation in all levels of Court in Nigeria … Customary Courts, Magistrate Courts, High Court, Courts of Appeal, Supreme Court, Electoral Tribunal, and Arbitral Tribunals.
- Litigation in all types of cases …. Criminal, Commercial, Industrial, Civil, Electoral, Company, Banking, Matrimonial, Land, Arbitration matters etc.
- Legal Transactions, Negotiations, Acquisitions, Mediation Settlements etc.
- Solicitors jobs … Legal Consultancy Services, Legal drafting, Expect Legal opinions etc.
- Extensive exposure in election cases and other related electoral matters – 1983 till date.
- Members, Anambra State Law Reporting Committee – 1986 – 1991.
- Chairman, Anambra State Local Government Election Tribunal, Onitsha Zone – 1990.
- Chairman, Enugu State Local Government Election Tribunal, Enugu Zone – 1992
- Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice, Enugu State – 1994 – 1997
- Chairman, Nigerian Bar Association, Enugu Branch, Enugu State – 2004 to 2006
- Chairman Enugu Zone Panel of NBA Disciplinary Committee of NBA 2009 – 2013
- Chairman NBA Enugu Branch Committee on Appointment of Judges – 2008 – 2016.
- Chairman/Facilitator Enugu State Justice Reform Team – 2010 to date.
- Chairman Technical Executive Committee of DFID Programme for State Accountability and Voice Initiative (SAVI) – 2011.
- Member NBA committee on Judiciary matters 2004 till 2014.
- Chairman Enugu State Committee for Revision of Sectoral Laws March, 2016 till date.
- Chairman Drafting Committee of Enugu State Administration of Criminal Justice Law 2017.
- Member Administrative of Criminal Justice Rules Committee.
- Chairman NBA Disciplinary Committee South East Zone (Panel B) 2017.
- Member Enugu State Multidoor And Fast-track Courts Establishment Committee 2017.
- Chairman Enugu State Multidoor Court Screening Committee.
- Member NBA, Enugu Branch Committee for Appointment of Judges 2017.
- Governing Council of College of Education, Nsugbe – 1986 – 1989
- Governing Council of Institute of Ecumenical Education, Enugu 1984 to 2006
- Governing Management Team of Niger Foundation Hospital and Diagnostic Centre, Enugu 1993 to 2001.
- Governing Council, Niger Foundation Hospital and Diagnostic Centre, Enugu – 15th March 2001 to date.
Numerous Local, National and International Conferences on Professional, Women, Human Rights and Cultural issues including a number of United Nations Conferences on Women’s Right (CSW), NBA and IBA Conferences.
- Election Petitions
- Arbitration, Mediation and Conciliation